Tuesday, February 25, 2014

"Healthy" Fast Food

First off, I want to say congratulations to Natalie and Kimberly, who tied for first place this week with 31 points each!  Awesome job!!  I was nervous about how this whole Competition was going to come together, but I'm extremely satisfied with how Week 1 went!  Thank you all so much for working so hard! You're all doing GREAT! I didn't have the best week as far as points and sticking to my weekly goals went, but I've found motivation in all of you, so thanks!  Week 2 is going to be just as great! Keep up the good work!!

If you haven't gotten me your points yet, please still send them so they can go toward the final points at the end!


I've decided I want to do sort of a "theme" for each week of the Competition. This week, I want to be about how to eat healthy (or healthier) while on-the-go.  I know there were a few of you who were concerned starting out last week because you knew you were going to be out of town or in a situation
where you couldn't cook at home.

I hope I let everyone know well enough that you can still get your weekly point for following the menu/healthy eating as long as you're improving and making healthy choices when you're forced to eat food you didn't prepare. Obviously, you don't want to be eating fast food all the time, and it's always more beneficial to try to cook as healthy as possible at home where you know exactly how much of every ingredient is in your food, but we all get into situations from time to time where we can't cook at home, and you don't need to be afraid of it! So, here it is,

How to Eat "Healthy" When Eating Fast Food

Get Informed
Knowing the difference between a healthier option on the fast food menu and an unhealthy option can mean the difference of hundreds, and dare I even say, thousands of calories. I've made a list of some of my favorite fast food places and the healthiest foods on their menus that are under 300 calories.
McDonald's:
Despite the flack McDonald's still seems to get, they've definitely come a long way since their "Super Size Me" days! They even list their calorie amounts on the drive thru menu. I'm sure any real nutritionist/health guru will cringe to hear it, but, I am a fan of McDonald's!
Strawberry Banana Real Fruit Smoothie (Medium)-250 Calories
Mango Pineapple Real Fruit Smoothie (Medium)-250 Calories
Vanilla Cone-170 Calories
Apple Slices-15 Calories
Fruit & Yogurt Parfait-150 Calories
Ranch Grilled Chicken Snack Wrap-270 Calories
Side Salad-20 Calories
Any Salads with Lowfat Dressing and Grilled Chicken

Subway
6" Turkey Breast-280 Calories
6" Turkey Breast & Ham-280 Calories
Black Forest Ham Mini Sub-180 Calories
Turkey Breast Mini Sub-180 Calories
(All on 9 Grain Wheat Bread, without sauces or cheese. Most cheeses and light mayo will be an extra 50 cals. each.)
1/2 Veggie Flatizza-205 Calories
All Salads are less than 140 Calories-Again, watch dressings! 2 oz of their ranch is 320 calories!!

Taco Bell
I was COMPLETELY surprised by Taco Bell's nutrition facts! I can't figure out the rhyme or reason to the ridiculous amounts of calories in seemingly innocent favorites! Carbs in the tortillas maybe? Anyway, this is really about all I could find for decent calories at Taco Bell. Look up one of your favorites, it might shock you!
Fresco Tacos: Less than 160 Calories
Chicken Gordita Supreme: 280 Calories
Black Beans & Rice: 180 Calories
Tostada: 270 Calories
All Tacos (Except Double Deckers): Under 300 Calories

Panda Express
I usually feel like I'm sacrificing a whole day's worth of calories to eat there! Actually, I usually am if I get my usual meal! An order of orange chicken is 540 Calories! Pair it with even brown rice and you're over 900! However, when I looked up their nutrition facts, I was pleasantly surprised!  They actually have quite a few options on their menu that are under 300 calories.
Mushroom Chicken-180 Calories
String Bean Chicken-160 Calories
Black Pepper Chicken-200 Calories
Broccoli Beef-120 Calories
Veggie Spring Roll-160 Calories
Hot and Sour Soup-100 Calories
Kung Pao Chicken-240 Calories
Fire Cracker Chicken Breast-240 Calories
Shanghai Angus Steak-220 Calories
Mixed Veggies-70 Calories

Check the Facts
These are just a few of the places that offer healthier options. If you have a favorite place to eat and you haven't already, look up their nutrition facts. You may end up finding out that by substituting a few options, you don't have to feel so guilty eating there if the need or craving strikes.

Use What You Know
If you end up going somewhere unexpected, or seeing something tempting but you have no idea where it falls on the scale of acceptable vs. might kill you, use what you've learned and common sense!
  1. Avoid carbs! Most burger place's calories lie in their breads and buns instead of the meat.
  2. Be weary of sauces. As I said earlier, in 2 oz. of Subway's ranch, there's almost 300 calories, and that's not even close to the worst of them! Don't work hard to build a healthy meal, and then crash it by getting a calorie and fat packed sauce!
  3. Stay away from anything fried!! I think that's pretty self explanatory!
  4. Don't order "meals". I outlined some healthier options above, but keep in mind, those are single servings of entrees. Most of them come with sides and a sugary drink. Again, don't sabotage a good effort by ordering unhealthy sides!
  5. Cut it in half! If you just have to have one of your favorite meals, use the old trick you've probably heard before. Get a to-go box at the beginning of the meal and put half away as soon as you get your meal. It's obvious, but sometimes overlooked, that that will save you HALF the calories!
Our little town only has about 5 fast food options and I was sad to see that if I want to try to eat healthy, more than half aren't options (Arby's, Dairy Queen and Sonic). But, that's not to say I'm not going to splurge on a Blizzard every once in a while, or veto In-N-Out if I ever travel anywhere where there's one nearby!


No comments:

Post a Comment