Thursday, March 13, 2014

Veggie Loading

I have to just say again how proud and impressed I am with everyone! Everyone's motivation is still holding strong and everyone is continuing to set and achieve awesome goals! I've realized that my points have consistently been some of the lowest in the group. So, I'm going to start posting my points on the blog, along with the top 5 Challengers. It's going to look TERRIBLE, especially compared to the top 5, but I need some accountability!

Anyway, good job everyone! If you've been frustrated with an "off" week, just remember, we will all probably have one over the course of the Challenge. Part of the reason for the Challenge (and why it's been so good for me!) is to help you have a reason to start fresh again the next day/week. A lot of times for me, after an off day/week, it's hard to find the motivation to try to forget about it and start anew the next day. But having a plan already lined out, knowing what I'm focusing on and seeing all of you doing so well despite the setbacks we all have, has really helped me have the desire to stay on track.

Now, on to "Veggie Loading". Like I said when I posted the menu, I jut saw the term "Veggie Loading" one day. Without really being sure what it meant, I decided to use my own interpretation of it. To me, it means adding as many vegetables to every meal as possible.

I've done this in the past, without really having a name for it, and it made SUCH a difference in my weight loss, energy level, appetite and ability to have self control. I think especially if you can make the first few things you eat in the morning include vegetables, you'll be surprised to see how it changes your days.

When I was on a really good track with my "veggie loading", I'd usually start every day with either freshly made juice or a green smoothie. That usually got my day going, and then when I had more time, is actually eat breakfast. More often than not, by the time I was ready to have breakfast, I wasn't craving junk, and instead wanted something that felt nutritious to continue the day. 

Most vegetables (especially the dark, colorful ones) are high in fiber. Fiber is one of those nutrients that is supposed to fill you up and keep you full longer, which is another perk I've noticed when I fill my meals with vegetables.

I understand that for most people (myself included), just the thought of "filling" your meal/plate with vegetables feels forced and makes you want to turn up your nose. So, I'm going to once again leave you with numbered tips of ways you can try to incorporate more veggies in your meals.


  1. Try to fill at least half of your plate with vegetables before you add anything else. Make them a variety of vegetables you LIKE so you don't get burnt out trying to gag down the last one by the time your meal is over. I usually try to have 2-3 different kinds of vegetables at each meal. I love salad, so there's always a gimme for me right there.
  2. Wash, chop and prepare your vegetables as soon as you get home from the store. This is a big one for me! I usually try to chop my lettuce and store it in a big Tupperware (if you put a paper towel in with it, it will soak up the moisture) or Ziploc at the beginning of the week. Then, no matter what I need lettuce for, I always have it ready and handy. Do the same with bell pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, tomato, celery, carrots, spinach, and really any vegetable-almost all of them will be okay to store in a baggie or container in the fridge for a week. For example, I chopped all my broccoli earlier in the week and have used it for a snack/side raw and steamed. I've also used it IN my meals and it goes SO quick because all I have to do it dump it in. I've also pre-chopped all my bell peppers, which makes them an easy addition to a sandwich or salad, or to saute for fajitas or omelets. Those are just a few examples. As I said above, you can do this with most vegetables. I also find that whenever I do this, I'm far more likely to know what I have in the fridge and use it and far less likely to have my produce go bad.
  3. Drink your veggies!
    I LOVE green smoothies! (In fact, I may end up devoting a week to them!) As I said above, you can start your day with one and get in a few servings of vegetables before you even eat breakfast. If you haven't tried adding spinach or kale to your smoothies, be brave! You really don't taste it (it just turns the smoothie an ugly color-but that's how you know it's nutrient dense! ;)). I've even added spinach to a peanut butter, banana and cocoa smoothie without sacrificing the taste. Green smoothies are about the only way I can get my kids to have some nutritious intake sometimes!
    I've also become a big fan of juicing in the past year, although I don't know nearly as much about it as I'd like. I know it gets some flack because the fruits and vegetables lose some nutritional content in the juicing process, but I definitely consume more than I normally would without it, so it's a win for me! It's kind of expensive because it uses a lot of vegetables and juicers aren't cheap (unless you got yours at a yard sale like I did), but it's another great way to get a lot of nutrients down without gagging! My kids are also big fans of juice. (Let me know if you're interested in learning more about green smoothies and juicing, because it might help me determine whether or not to make it one of the weekly themes) 
  4. "Disguise" your veggies in your other food, or into something fun. In searching for ways to try to get my kids to eat more vegetables, I kept coming across posts like this one. After a while, it occurred to me that I could use the same distraction! One reason I love making spaghetti is that I can shred up A TON of vegetables and add them to the sauce and then eat them without even thinking about it, or having my kids realize and refuse it. After reading posts like the one above, I've realized there are endless ways to "sneak" veggies into most foods.
    I'm not much of a baker, but I know there are vegetables (such as zucchini and carrots) that can be shredded or pureed and then added to baked goods. As a HUGE fan of zucchini bread, this is something I need to look into more! (If you have any good recipes or info. on this, please share!)
    I have a Pinterest Board devoted to fun (and mostly nutritious) kid food. When I get into on of my "Supermom" grooves, I use ideas from it a lot to make healthy snacks/meals for Grant. He LOVES them and always looks forward to meal times and eats so well when I do it (which often makes me wonder why I don't do it all the time! Same reason I don't exercise all the time even though it makes the day so much better, I guess!) and I have to admit, the "fun-ness" of it usually makes me what to eat it too! Grant and I have "tricked" ourselves into eating raw celery, bell pepper, cauliflower and cucumber (to name a few) just because they were presented in a fun way.
    This is an old and not very good picture. But you get the idea!

1 comment:

  1. I love the fun kid food! Also, I would really like to learn more about juicing and maybe get some of your favorite recipes!

    ReplyDelete