Thursday, August 7, 2014

You Don't Have to be Rich to Eat Healthy!

I'm so glad Natatie was excited about posting on this subject! I know for me, when I decided to try to start eating healthier, knowing where to start at the grocery store was SO intimidating to me! Especially when it seemed like for our little family, fast food was actually cheaper!

Nat has some awesome insight and foolproof ideas! In fact, I'm in the process of revamping our entire budget after reading her post! I'd say that's pretty motivating! Thanks Nat, take it away!


I am no expert on this subject, but I asked Ashley if I could highlight this subject because I feel like one of the biggest misconceptions of healthy eating and weight loss is you have to spend an arm and a leg on food… I have found that to be the opposite in my experience.

I used to follow an IG user who named herselfeatingwhole” for whatever reason she does not exist any more. She also had a blog on how she changed her life and lost a considerable amount of weight by eating whole and not feeling famished. One week she posted a meal plan and a shopping list for her readers to follow. The question was asked by a reader how much money she spent on groceries a month. For her small family of 3 (her, her husband, and 2yr old daughter), she was spending anywhere from $700-$800 a month!! She lived in California… but really??  THAT IS INSANE PEOPLE!!! And if you spend anywhere near that I am here to tell you, THERE IS ANOTHER WAY!!!

Like I said, I am not an expert and I can only share what I know for feeding a family of 2. Me and my husband, who eats a lot of food! One of the first things I noticed when I was first married was we went through A LOT of milk. We also ate a lot of cereal… so as soon as I stopped buying cereal magically we had an extra $10-$15 in milk money alone and not to mention an extra $15-20 bucks a month from the cereal. Another thing I did (which I would not recommend) I tried to use my food storage and mix half canned milk and half store bought milk- let’s just say that didn’t go over so smoothly and as a newly married lady feelings were hurt! Haha
The reason I tell you this is, if you want to eat healthy and maintain a budget you have to give up something, and quiet honestly your family will too. Eggs and oatmeal are so much cheaper, more filling, and better for your body than cereal and milk! You might be saying “Cereal is so easy though!” indeed it is but so is instant oatmeal, one minute and ten seconds- no more excuses ladies! If you don’t like oatmeal, eat it until you do! We crave the things we put into our body- any health/fitness expert will tell you that.

As I made little changes like I mentioned above we spent a lot less money on groceries. Now my budget for the month is $150-200. That’s it! Since being married (3years now) we have only ever had one income so I have had to get creative. So how do I do it??
  1. Figure out a budget- and stick to it! At the beginning of every month I have CASH in my wallet designated to groceries. I do not use a debit or credit card at the grocery store (Points or no points I save money and I can buy my own plane tickets... credit cards are dumb… but those opinions are for another time and place) You will be surprised at how carefully you spend your money.  Once the money is gone it is gone... I have failed several times and hated our last week of the month on several occasions (and sometimes lets be honest I just had to go over the budget- but I have gotten a lot better as I have done this)
  2. Shop produce sales. If you will only eat strawberries but they are 4 bucks a pint… don’t buy them… buy the pears that are 48 cents a pound and suck it up! You will start to like pears. Or maybe you will just eat more salad that week instead of fruit because lettuce was on sale. If your grocery stores are limited then bountiful baskets is a great option! You get a huge basket full of produce. You may have to get creative because you never know what you will get, but it’s CHEAP!! If bountiful baskets is not an option in your area then you will have to shop the sales as best you can. 
  3. We eat a lot of rice, beans and eggs (only hard boiled for me) in our family. It is a cheap option and it fills you up. They are both very versatile. Rice goes with pretty much everything (and a healthier option than potatoes). Beans can be added to salads, eaten alone, put on the side, made into a veggie chili- lots of stuff! (and they keep your bowels moving which is a must!) 
  4. When something is on sale and can be frozen I stock up! This is where I will fudge a little on the budget, but I try not to go overboard. I usually will just buy one or 2 extra. 
  5. I only buy chicken/meat when we are completely out or if it is under $2.00 a pound. Same with tuna- if its not on sale we go without (refer to #4 I stock up when it is on sale)
  6. I take time at the store and compare the prices/brands. I use the price per ounce rather than the actual overall price. I am now getting more for my money (the only time I do not use this rule is if I need a random ingredient for a recipe).
  7. Make a list before going to the grocery store. Plan out your meals of the week (or 2 or whatever is easiest for you) STICK TO THE LIST! 
  8. Don’t go to the grocery store hungry- you will fail every time I promise! 
  9. My husband hates when he knows I do this next one. I use half a chicken breast for us to share for a meal. ☺ we both don’t need our own- that’s too much meat! When I first lived out on my own I lived with my brother and we were super poor! I had to try to find ways to make our food stretch and meat is expensive! For instance when I make stir fry I cut my chicken up into tiny bite size pieces and load it with veggies… most of the time my husband does not even notice! 
  10. Last but not least… eat less! Eat on a small plate and drink plenty water (before, after or during) whichever “expert” you have chosen to follow. 
I am long winded and could go on and on about the things I have done to help make our grocery budget go further… but I will close here. The main take away points are: make a plan and a budget and stick to it, be versatile in the things you will eat, and find ways to cut back and make your food stretch!

Remember you will not be perfect over night… and I am still not as good at this as I would like to be. Just know it gets easier and you don’t have to be rich to eat healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment